PE and Sport Premium
What is the PE and Sport Grant?
The Education Funding Agency is providing additional funding to each school for academic years until 2020 to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport - will be allocated to primary school headteachers. This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Funding for schools is calculated by reference to the number of primary-aged pupils (between the ages of 5 and 11), as recorded in the annual schools census in January 2013.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- 1) Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- 2) Supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional Change4Life clubs
- 3) Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- 4) Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- 5) Running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- 6) Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- 7) Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
2014 - 2015
2015 - 2016
2015-2016 - Impact